Friday, September 19, 2008

"God is Pro-Life"

I've been seeing a lot of this slogan lately. The anti-abortion crowd seems to think that just because they're more religious than the average pro-choicer, God is on their side in the abortion debate.

I'm not a religious person, so I can't claim to have any special insight into the mind of God. Just judging from His track record, however, I don't think you can say that God is pro-life. In fact, I think you'd have to say that God is pro-death.

Think about it: every living thing on this planet will soon die. In order for we humans to even live the brief time that we _do_ get on this planet, we have to engage in at least a little killing (even vegetarians need pesticide!) And, finally, if you believe George Bush Jr., the war in Iraq was God's idea in the first place.

No, God likes death. A lot of it.

Even if you make the argument that God is also responsible for life (you know, by creating it, if you're so inclined to believe that sort of thing), you can only convince me that God is neutral on the subject of life and death. If He was so in favor of keeping things alive, He never would have invented arsenic or lightening or forest fires or cancer or winchester rifles or turbulence or any other way in which people die.

So, might I humbly suggest anti-abortionists to cut it out with the whole God thing? I mean, until He communicates to me directly (through an image on a piece of toast) precisely what His feelings are with regards to abortion, I can't take your opinions on the subject seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Im going to be the only comment, weird but ok. Im glad you finally updated cuz you are effing hillarious and I needed a good laugh. I love your take on ummmm everything. I emailed my girls at "Whatever" on sirius and told them they have to check you out. They will love you. You need to get a radio show, I think you would be fantastic. So work on that, ok?! J/K on the "work on that" Any way, love you and update more. Megan
P.S sorry for rambling.